Slate is a dense fine-grained metamorphic rock which can be prepared as shingles for construction purposes like roofing. With so many different options of roofing materials available in this modern era, slate still remains the most popular choice. No matter how large the expense of slate-roofing is, homeowners opt for it with an absolute trust. The secret lies in the fact that along with imparting the house with a traditional yet luxuriously rich feel, this yesteryear material provides several other benefits that are listed below:
1) Horse of long race– Slate is one of the most durable construction material known to mankind. It has been known to last at least several decades and sometimes centuries when properly maintained. Even after heavy neglect of many years, with careful restoration it can be revived to its former glory.
2) Tested by weather– If there was a material impervious to the natural elements, its slate. Owing to its manner of formation, slate can withstand extreme weather conditions rendering it almost invincible. It is waterproof thereby, preventing any leakage during heavy downpours and has ability to survive strong wind currents. It is also fire resistant resulting in eliminating one of the oft thought safety concern. Henceforth, it is rightly termed as king of weatherproof.
3) Friendly on pocket– The cost of slating a roof might not be benevolent to one’s wallet but the minimum repair requirement after the final installation makes up for it. When combined with its durability along with its very low maintenance cost, slate becomes extremely budget friendly in the long run. When properly looked after, slating can have almost zero repair cost.
4) Pleasing to the eyes– The very essence of this reliable material lies in its aesthetic. Slate in general exudes both old-world charm and grandeur. They come in variety of hues and shades which can be cut, shaped and arranged to give a specific appearance. This salient feature of slate can be utilized to achieve either stunningly vintage or exquisitely modern looks.
5) Multipurpose uses– Due to its weather resistant and eye-captivating properties, leftover slabs of slates from roofing has plenty of uses. For example, it can be used as kitchen counter-tops as it can handle heat, it can be used as backsplash or a rim to cover the water pipes as it won’t leak.
6) Agreeing with environment– Construction wastes being one of the major contributors of landfills, are very harmful for nature and are significant sources of pollution. Slate being a naturally occurring material with high longevity eliminates that possibility. Slating ensures that building a roof does not happen at the expense of our already damaged environment.
Even though slating can be appealing, it should be approached with caution. Slates weigh a lot and any miscalculation or improper roofing can prove to be quite disastrous with chances of collapse. Slating requires expert skills, huge experience and in-depth knowledge. This is why it is vital to engage a company which meets all the above requirements like the experienced team at The Slate Roofing Company. Contact us today for a no-obligation quote.